tUnE-yArDs - whokill




tUnE-yArDs has been on my Last.fm Recommended Artists list for a long time, but I have been reluctant to venture out of my music bubble to find new tunes. After seeing mentions of this artist in various places and on several best-of-2011 lists, I finally gave it a listen. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised to be pleasantly surprised!  whokill is by far the most interesting and unique album that I have encountered from 2011.

Merrill Garbus’ androgynous vocals combined with layering and distortion produces an intriguing ‘sound’. This album may not be for everyone, as it is a bit sporadic, off-beat, and wild at times, but I find its oddity draws me in. It implants these intriguing, catchy little snippets in my brain.  In a way, this album has become an addiction; constantly plaguing my thoughts with cravings for a specific riff.

All the songs are interesting and most are great, but Gansta is a good place to start.

No comments: